A car accident can be one of those times where someone tells you to calm down in a situation, and it makes you…the opposite of calm. So, here’s some actually helpful advice to help you stay cool and collected.
What to do if you’re in a car accident.
1. Don’t leave the scene – A hit-and-run case means a lot more trouble for you than just staying and dealing with the issue.
2. Don’t admit fault – Even if you’re pretty sure it’s your fault, don’t. say. anything.
3. Make sure everyone’s okay – Ask drivers and passengers if they have any injuries and write them down, if possible.Get a car insurance quote
4. Call the police – A police report can give first accounts on injuries, damages, and fault. It can also help the claims process go more smoothly.
5. Take pictures – So that no one “creates” any more injuries or damages afterwards.
6. Exchange info – Listen closely: The ONLY bits of information you need from the other driver and vice versa are:
- First & last names
- Contact numbers
- License plate numbers
- The make, model, color, year, and VIN of the vehicles
- The name and phone number of the driver’s insurance company
- Auto insurance policy numbers
BE CAREFUL about sharing anything else. Someone could steal your identity. If someone needs more information, their insurance company can talk to yours and vice versa.
7. Call your insurance company – And tell the truth about the accident! Lying won’t help you later.
8. Keep a record of your medical bills – So insurance can pay you properly.
9. Be careful about accepting money up front – Someone may try to pay you directly instead of filing with insurance. However, there may be hidden injuries or damages that you don’t discover until well after you’ve gotten their money, and it may cost more to fix than what they paid. So, be careful about doing any under-the-table dealing.Adulting is hard. Get insurance quotes live in chat.
After an accident, it’s important to have an agent that you can trust. So, why not work with our super nice and experienced agents to get you the car insurance you need? Start by sliding into our DMs (LiveChat) to see what we can do!