Here in our quick guide to home insurance, we’re going to tackle some commonly asked FAQs. Enjoy!
What does home insurance cover?
- The house’s structure.
- Stuff attached to the house and your property.
- Your stuff (in certain situations)
- If someone gets hurt at your place.
- Plus, if they decide to sue you (in which case, they probably won’t be coming to your house anymore.)
- If you physically can’t live in your house. (Not a vacation)
What doesn’t home insurance cover?
- Sewer Backup
- Vacant homes
- Your car
How can I get discounts on my home insurance?
- Bundle your home and car insurance
- Stay with your insurance company for a while
- Go a few years without filing a claim
- Get a home security system
- Get a home fire/sprinkler system
- Get a sturdy roof
- Ask about discounts for being a new customer (yes, really)
- Pay for the entire year in full (Hey, we’re talking about possible discounts, not widely used ones.)
How can I save money on home insurance right now?
- Live in a gated community
- Get married
- Quit smoking
When do I need to change my insurance?
- When you renovate your house
- If you get married
- If you come into some fine art or jewelry (and yes, you can insure your engagement ring.)
- If you retire
And to conclude our home insurance guide…Pro tips
- Make a home inventory (your carrier can’t insure it if they don’t know you have it.)
- RCV NOT ACV (ACV payments mean depreciation which means less money to get your stuff back.)
There are also tons of other situations that you could be involved in with home insurance. So, if you want a breakdown of those, start up a live chat and we’ll get you up to speed. (Or fill out our online form or give us a call.)